HHS Golf Academy is a PE class that Hamilton High School offers to all the registered students interested in the game of golf. Hamilton's sports academies allow students who do not qualify for official team sports to still play games they love, such as golf, tennis, soccer and volleyball, during the school day. About 700 students a year participate and some develop enough skills to make interscholastic teams. This proven concept at Hamilton High School will prepare student athletes with better training in a more convenient format all year round. By pairing elite academics with advanced athletic training, Hamilton Golf Academy has established itself as a premier school for preparing student-athletes for their next step in life.
Our Mission Statement
Hamilton High School (HHS) will emerge as the premiere high school in the United States for high school student athletes wanting the best athletic training and the best in academic preparation. Each Academy will provide the prep student athlete the best environment to develop physically, mentally, technically, and academically. Graduates will be prepared academically and athletically to succeed.
- WM Phoenix Open Volunteering- the boys visit the TPC of Scottsdale every Febuary and were able to see some of their favorite PGA players up close and personal.
- Guest Speakers- in our Monday class time we have a number of guest speakers so far this year. Scott McNevin spoke to the boys about the JGAA. Tim Eberlien from the Golf Academy of America talked about careers in the golf industry. Eric Kulinna came in and talked to the boys about the First Tee of America and other golf related topics. Last Monday, PGA professional Patrick Moore talked to the boys about life on tour and how to practice effectively. Next up will be Dennis Walsh, an official from the Arizona Golf Association, who will testing the boys on their rules knowledge.
- Red Zone Challenge- thanks to help from Eric Kulinna the boys have been testing themselves by completing the Red Zone Challenge during Friday's class time. This challenge includes short game skills like putting, chipping, bunker and wedge play. We are collecting the data so we can record the progress that the boys are making in this critical part of the game of golf.
- Community Volunteer Work- see ABC15 report on HHS Golf Class helps clean up Chandler Neigborhood
- Hamilton Cup-during the 4th quarter of the school year the boys will be competing for the "coveted" Hamilton Cup. This will be a series of events held during golf class that will pit the boys against each other as they try to accumulate points until the end of the school year.
- Class Schedule- we've settled into a routine that includes Monday class time, Tuesday and Wednesday on-course play (competitive events) and Friday short game practice. It's important that the boys attend each class period as they would in any other class. I'd like to remind everyone that a bus is available to take the boys to the golf course each day at no additional charge.
Beginner & Intermediate Class:
- The Golf Academy beginner & intermediate class at Hamilton High School is a collaboration between HHS students and Bear Creek Golf Complex.
- Students of all skill levels will be given weekly classroom instruction, golf lessons from a Bear Creek PGA professional, and playing time.
- Classroom instruction includes; golf rules and ethics, golf course design, course management skills, fitness information, equipment design and care, along with industry trends.
- Each week academy students are given group instruction at the golf course covering all aspects of the golf swing along with weekly rounds of golf.
Students do not have to be a Varsity team member to join the Golf Academy. Different skill levels are welcome. Acceptance into the Advance Class will require special evaluation and based on your past playing experience . A Golf Class Fee is required for a junior golf membership with unlimited use of practice facility and green fees on a space available basis.
Class Registration- If you have any questions about our school's graduation requirements and how they can be met while still including the golf class, please contact Coach Steve Kanner.